Musical Biscuits

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

UNDERRATED GUITARISTS

I now have to add Amadou Bagayoko to my personal list of underrated, under-appreciated guitarists (which includes Prince, Peter Tosh, Ernie Isley, and a few others). Last weekend I went to Central Park to check out Amadou & Mariam, who are a blind married couple from Mali -- and not only did they have the whole crowd dancing to their lively rhythms, but Amadou was just killing it on his electric. It's hard for me to describe his guitar style. It's blues-based but highly original. According to Pitchfork: "[Amadou] reels off roiling lines and droning desert blues with graceful dexterity, reflecting influences as wide-ranging as Bembeya Jazz's Sekou Diabate, Robert Johnson, and Saharan guitar and oud music."


If you have a chance to check them out live, don't miss it. Their recent Dimanche a Bamiko was somewhat of a commercial breakthrough (though not quite the Buena Vista Social Club of 2005). Produced by Manu Chao, it is a very enjoyable album, and a great introduction to this extraordinary musical act. I definitely plan on revisiting the CD now that my excitement has been rekindled by their energetic performance.