Musical Biscuits

Friday, August 04, 2006

OUTKAST'S IDLEWILD

I recently wrote about how I was underwhelmed by everything I've heard so far from Outkast's upcoming album, the soundtrack to their new film Idlewild. Both the movie and the record have been years in the making, and have been pushed back numerous times. These delays made me nervous and perhaps even a bit resentful, as did all the rumors of Outkast's breaking-up. (Of course, everyone knows that the phenomenal duo of Andre "3000" Benjamin and Antwone "Big Boi" Patton have been heading in different directions for years, so none of this comes as a surprise.)


But I have to admit, maybe I spoke too soon. While their debut single from Idlewild, the Cab Calloway-influenced "The Mighty O" doesn't do that much for me, I'm warming up to the marching band sound of Big Boi's "Morris Brown" -- and especially to Andre's exciting "Idlewild Blues." Check out the Hurricane Katrina-inspired video here.

Speaking of which, I am greatly anticipating Spike Lee's Katrina documentary When the Levees Broke, which will air on HBO on August 21st and 22nd. I strongly believe that this disaster was a pivotal moment in American history, and we have barely begun to grasp its significance. According to the New York Times, when Spike was filming in New Orleans, "people, black and white, approached him and the 'Levees' crew . . . imploring: 'Tell the story. Tell the story.'" Sheila Nevins, the film’s executive producer and the president of the documentary and family division at HBO, says: "I realized this would be the film of record. When Spike interviews a forgotten American whose kid floated away in the water, he lets them raise up their poetry. They’re able to express to him what they’re not able to express to anyone else.”

I don't think there has been a film that has felt this urgent and important since Farenheit 9/11.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
I have seen am image that has been used on your sire of Spike Lee. I would like to use that image for a DVD boxset.
Can you let me know who the owner of the image is and the fee for usage?
Please email me at
hema.sonal@zoom.co.uk

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home