Musical Biscuits

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

WELCOME TO 2007!

Happy New Year, folks. I don't know about you, but I've already left '06 behind and am enjoying some exciting '07 music.

There's the new album, Myth Takes, by the dance-rock outfit called !!! (pronounced chik-chik-chik). I really dug their 2004 release Louden Up Now and its single "Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story)." The new record officially comes out in March. Check out this great track from it, "A New Name." Kinda reminds me of the Police.

Then there's the release later this month by the Good, The Bad and The Queen, the supergroup composed of Damon Albarn (Blur, the Gorillaz), Paul Simonon (the Clash), Simon Tong (the Verve), and Tony Allen (drummer for Fela Kuti). I'm really liking this, but I have a hard time seeing it doing that well in the States, despite Albarn's success with the Gorillaz. The record just strikes me as very very British, like some of the Kinks' late-60s albums.

Then there's the free (yes that's right, free!) collaboration between Talib Kweli and producer Madlib called Liberation, which is available here on the Stones Throw website and on Kweli's MySpace page. Madlib is one of my favorite producers, probably because he is so jazz-oriented (not surprising, considering he's Jon Faddis' nephew) -- but he's often paired with mediocre MCs. But Talib sounds better than ever here. He's really on a roll this year; starting his own label, Blacksmith Entertainment, seems to have given him a huge boost of energy and inspiration. He's dropping an official new album, Eardrum, soon as well, and everything I've heard from it sounds great. While his old partner Mos Def seems to have reached new depths of suck-itude (trust me, don't even bother with Mos's new Tru3 Magic), Kweli is looking to have a great 2007.

But the '07 album that has got me more geeked than any of the above is something called Octopus by the UK group The Bees (sometimes referred to as Band of Bees). That's them in the photo at the top of this post. I'd encountered some of their stuff before and liked it, but the tracks I've heard off the new record (available in March in the UK, not sure when it's coming out in the States) are off-the-hook! They have a hugely appealing soul element, lots of horns, and I love the vocals. Check out these two amazing songs: "Listening Man" and "Got To Let Go."

Lots of exciting biscuits in 07! Which ones are you looking forward to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home